Are your light fittings dimmable?
The majority of Original BTC and Davey Lighting range of fittings may be installed on a dimmable circuit. The main factor that determines whether a light fitting is dimmable is the lamp (bulb) itself. Traditional incandescent and halogen lamps ARE dimmable and will work with most domestic dimmer switches. Dimmable CFL and LED retrofit lamps are available, but they should be checked for compatibility with your dimmer system/dimmer switch (we advise that you check this with the lamp manufacturer and dimmer switch/module manufacturer or consult an electrician for advice).
Can I shorten the cable on my pendant light fitting?
Yes, if the supplied cable length (1.5m as standard) is too long, this can be adjusted to suit your requirements). When installing the pendant, it may be shortened to the required length to provide the desired drop (overall height from ceiling to the bottom of the light fitting). We recommend customers use an electrician to install pendant light fittings.
What height do you recommend installing a pendant light fitting?
- The height of your ceiling will have the biggest impact on the height you can install your pendants. It is worth taking this into consideration when choosing a Pendant as it will determine the size of pendant (depending on location) you can use and the light effects you will be able to create. Dimension drawings are available for each product, which will help you determine what is possible in the space you have. These can be downloaded from each product listing.
- When installing an Original BTC or Davey pendant as a central light fitting- in a lounge or hallway for example, it is important that you take into account your height (and that of your guests). We would recommend the bottom of the pendant to be at least 195cm above the floor. This will allow taller people (max 6ft 4) to comfortably walk underneath. If you or your guests are likely to be taller, then we advise increasing the height to avoid possible collisions!
- When installing an Original BTC or Davey pendant above a dining table, we recommend the bottom of the pendant is at least 10-15cm above your total height when seated. This means the fitting will not block your eye-line when seated.
- The higher the pendant is installed, the greater the spread of light will be. This is particularly useful when using as a central light source to provide general illumination.
- The lower the pendant is installed, the more focussed the illumination will be on the surface below- particularly useful over a kitchen island for carrying out kitchen tasks for example, or for more intimate lighting over a dining table.
Are there any pendant fittings you recommend if we have low ceilings?
A shallower pendant may be more suitable if your ceiling is very low; some examples of pendants that have a relatively short overall length, which allows for a shorter overall drop, are listed below:
- Original BTC: Victor, Paxo and 700 pendants
- Davey Lighting: 7200, 7165, 7170 and 7636/PE pendants
How many pendant lights should I hang over my kitchen island?
This depends on the dimensions of the island and the size of the fitting itself, but generally we find that an odd number works well, particularly a set of three. Allow enough space in between each fitting prevent the fittings becoming crowded. We would suggest a minimum of 25-30cm spacing (from the outer edge of each reflector/shade) between each pendant.
Are light bulbs supplied with your fittings?
No light bulbs are supplied with any Original BTC fittings. Some Davey Lighting fittings are supplied with lamps. These include; the Pillar Light- 7210 & 7211, the Adjustable Low Voltage Spotlights- 0755, 0758, 0761 & 0762 and the LED version of the Mast Light- 0749 and the CFL version of the 7530 bulkhead (26W G24).
What Lamp (Light bulb) should I use with my fitting?
There are a wide range of lamps available for Original BTC and Davey Lighting products. All products have a specified max wattage which relates to incandescent bulbs. Recent EU regulations mean incandescent bulbs with wattage of 40W or higher, are no longer commonly sold in the UK.
What colour temperature of CFL or LED is most similar to traditional incandescent lamps?
Colour temperature is measured in kelvin, with 2700k being the warmest colour temperature available for CFL & LED lamps. It will also be described as warm white and is what we recommend when choosing a low energy lamp to use in one of our products.
Can retrofit LED lamps be used in Original BTC & Davey Lights?
Yes, as long as the lamp (bulb) has a compatible base and is of the correct shape and size for the fitting. Most Original BTC and Davey lights have an E27 (Edison Screw) lampholder. There are many LED lamps with an E27 base available.
Can Eco-halogen GLS lamps be used in Original BTC & Davey Lights?
We advise against using eco halogen lamps, as they produce a lot of heat that can cause damage to the lampholder over time. We recommend using low energy CFL or LED lamps.
There are some fittings, particularly the Davey Box Lantern range, where the exposed nature of the lamp fitting means that people may be put off using a low energy lamp, due to their appearance (although the appearance of low energy CFL and LED lamps is improving all the time). Eco halogen lamps can be used in the Box Lantern range, as the brass construction, means the heat will not have a detrimental effect on the products components. Eco halogen lamps may also be used in Davey Pendants and Wall Lights that have a Well Glass, but it should be taken into consideration, that the enclosed nature of the Well Glass means the heat build up from the lamp will reduce the lifetime of the lamp.
I am interested in one of the Davey Lighting 'bulkheads' and see it is available with two different lampholder options; which one should I choose?
- The G24 lampholder will accept a 2-pin type CFL lamp and is supplied with an integral gear tray and ballast. It will accept ONLY a 2-pin type CFL lamp and is NOT dimmable.
- An E27 lampholder will accept lamps with an E27 cap and there are therefore more options over the type of lamp available; incandescent/, low energy CFL or LED lamps may all be used.
The advantage of choosing the G24 option is that as the ballast is non-integrated(separate to the lamp), it will last longer and is unlikely to need replacing at the end of the lamps life- compared to a low energy CFL with an E27 base, that has an integrated ballast (built into the base of the lamp). Another benefit is that as a G24 lampholder will only accept low energy lamps, it can help fulfil requirements of 'Part L requirements for Lighting'.
If you would prefer to have the option to choose an incandescent or to use a retrofit CFL or LED lamp, you should choose the E27 option.
Do I require a transformer for my light fitting?
Transformers are available from electrical wholesalers, or contact your electrician.
Beadlight Compact Light fittings require an LED power supply, which can be supplied. Contact for further details.